We were lucky enough to be given this recipe by our Osteopath and Contributor Robert Grech, after discovering that we shared an interest in healthy food and holistic living.
Apparently he baked it for his girlfriend’s birthday and couldn’t believe how successful it turned out.
Sugar & Gluten Free Mango & Walnut Cake
Since trying it once and tasting it we have baked it several times, and according to my family, not enough times! It is just so delicious, and irresistible, with loads of clean ingredients and so quick and easy to make! You won’t be able to resist a chunk of this sugar and gluten free mango cake. We tweaked it a little by adding some extra zing in the form of spices and citrus zest…you will not believe how good this tastes until you try it!.
- 200 gms ground almonds
- 50 gms coconut flour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 a cup walnuts – you can leave out the nuts if preferred
- 1 large ripe mango – diced
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Grated zest of an orange or lemon or tangerine – they all taste good!
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger – or 1 tsp powdered ginger
Method – Wait for it…it is so easy!
- Just pop all the ingredients in a food processor and whizz it around until all is combined and creamy
- Line cake tin (of your choice) with baking paper
- Bake for 45 – 50 mins at 160 degrees (fan) or 180 degrees (regular) oven – if a toothpick or skewer come out clean – it is done.
Be adventurous – put in a pinch of whatever takes your fancy or a little of anything you have in your spice rack... this cake is so versatile that it tastes good with whatever you choose on that day!